Saturday 5 November 2011

Augusto Boal


When I was thinking about ideas for my own workshop I remembered another workshop that I had once taken part in during which we explored the work and theories of a man named Augusto Boal. Augusto Boal was a theatre director from Brazil who wrote a book named ‘Theatre of the Oppressed’. In it he talked about breaking down the barriers of the theatre. He would get actors to act out a play then invite the audience to make up the ending. To me he is interesting because of his workshops using the body in space.

The Theatre of the Oppressed’s goal was to deal with political and social problems through theatre. I think that his ideas are a very interesting way of looking at the nature of the audience theatre, which can be utilised in order to engage with oppression within daily life.