Sunday 15 April 2012

Girls just wanna have fun

 I was asked to do a performance for the recent Engendering Dialogue symposium held in Dundee on the 30th and 31st of March 2012. I have been looking at the classic anthem sung by Cyndi Lauper 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' for a while now. I love the fact that it was originally written by a guy named Robert Hazard and was originally slightly misogynist through the way it portrayed woman. Lauper changed the lyrics and became a feminist icon. She reclaimed the lyrics and re-appropriated the song, imbuing it with new meaning. I watched the video and played the song constantly, singing at the top of my voice when no one was watching. For the performance I decided to make public this very private moment, listening to the song at top volume on my Ipod and belting out the lyrics in front of an audience whilst wearing my pyjamas.

I can't sing by the way, but damn it felt good.